Welcome to week 5 of the Spring Cleaning Series. If you’re just joining us, I suggest starting with part 1.
Just in case you missed a week, they will be linked at the bottom of this post.
Spring Cleaning Week 5 – Dining Room
In this post we’re going to declutter and clean our dining rooms, so let’s dive right in.
- Firstly, clear the flat surfaces. All the shelves, tables, units, furniture, all of it, and put everything in the middle of the floor.
- Empty all the drawers and cupboards. Bring all of that to the floor as well.
- Next, clean glass and windows. I find it’s best to do these first to avoid those annoying streaks!
- Feather dust the ceiling and lights. Don’t forget the lamps and sconces.
- Wash or clean the table cloth, curtains or blinds, chair covers and other soft furnishings and decor.
- Dust fans and vents, wall art, switch plates, doors, skirting boards, and the furniture too.
- Spot clean the walls and ceiling. Goodness knows how stuff gets on the ceiling!
- Also, spot clean the floor rugs and carpets.
- Safely pull out what furniture you can. Hoover/vacuum behind everything the mop if you have hard floors. Then, put the furniture back.
- Now it’s time to sort through the items you pulled out earlier. Decide what to keep, donate, sell and throw out.
“Discard everything that does not spark joy” – Marie Kondo
- Bag or box up what you’re not keeping, and get it out of your home ASAP, even if it’s just to the car, shed or garage.
- Afterwards, put away all the items you’re keeping, paying particular attention to where you want everything to go.
- Last but not least, hoover/vacuum one final time, and mop if you have hard floors (don’t forget underneath the rugs).
Celebrate your hard work by ordering in or having someone else cook tonight because you deserve it!