The International Day of Happiness occurs annually on March 20th, since it began in 2013.
How to Be Happy
True happiness looks different for everyone. What makes others happy may not make you happy. You do you.
- Think about the things in your life that make you happy and write them down. Make the effort to prioritise these moments of happiness in your daily life.
- Treat yourself now and then, little and often is key.
- Learn that good enough is good enough. When something is done, let it go and move on to the next.
- Do more things that make you forget to check your phone. Remember the last time you were doing something you enjoyed so much that it didn’t occur to you to check your mobile or the time. Those are the kind of things you should do more of.
- Develop good friendships.
- Make it easier to do the things you enjoy. If you like reading, join your local library. If you want to spend more time with your family, don’t schedule things on your weekend and be dedicated to your loved ones instead.
- Challenge your negative thoughts when you notice them. Give yourself the same encouragement you would a friend.
- List 3 good things that happen in your life each day. Some days will be harder than others, but there’s good in every day.
- Plan fun activities. Planning may not sound like much fun to some, but it can actually add to the fun of the event itself. You don’t need to plan a lavish holiday or weekend break for this, a simple fun-filled afternoon with friends or family will get the good vibes going.
- Start taking better care of yourself: drink more water, be active, eat a bit healthier, consistently get enough sleep.
- Focus on experiences rather than material goods. Items get old and worn out, fond memories are much more resilient.
- Practise gratitude. Every day try to write down, or simply think of, a few things you are grateful for in your life today.
- Set goals and work towards them. Acknowledge and celebrate every step you make toward your goal, not just when you reach the top of the staircase.
- Old grudges and worries only fill your mind with negative thoughts. Try to forgive if you can, then try to let go.
This March 20th, let’s all make time to do the things that make our hearts soar.
What brings you happiness?